Re: [Shop-talk] tubeless (and airless) tires

To: "Donald H Locker" <dhlocker@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tubeless (and airless) tires
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 19:38:18 -0400
On 9/4/07, Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi, All.
>
> Before the snow season, I'd like to get the tubeless tires on my snowblower to
> seal sufficiently that I don't have to air them up every time I want to use
>it.
>
> The first thing I did was break the beads and clean all the mating surfaces.
>No
> abrasives, just soap, water and a cotton rag, then air to push the beads back
> into position.  No joy.
>
> So I opened things again and cleaned again but this time I applied rubber
>cement
> to the mating surfaces (as suggested by a local tire shop) and re-inflated the
> critters.  As well as I can determine, the air loss is undiminished.
>
> So next I tried cleaning and applying clear silicone sealant.  I'm still
>losing
> air at a prodigious rate!!!
>
> Soapy water says the leaks are around the bead area, is there any specific
> technique for identifying what is _exactly_ causing the problem?  And what
> should I do when I find it?

When I did this for a living, the technique was to remove the tire,
buff the beads (we used a special buffing wheel in a drill, that
wouldn't remove good paint, but took off loose paint, dirt, and rust,
but a wire wheel will work.  Repaint later, if you care.), apply a
seriously gooey and sticky bead sealer on the bead surface, and
remount the tire.  If I were doing this to my snowblower, I'd go with
tubes.  You may be able to find them with pre-installed sealant in
them.  If not, add it.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com