Re: [Shop-talk] tubeless (and airless) tires

To: "Chip Mautz" <clmautz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tubeless (and airless) tires
From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 18:24:37 -0500
*The old geezer at a tire shop here in town fixes bead leaks on lawn
equipment very simply and he did one for me a year ago . . He breaks it down
and gives the wheel a cursory sanding to remove loose flakes of rust and
rubber.  Then he makes sure the tire bead isn't split or peeling and then he
squirts a sloppy amount of WD40 on both surfaces, mounts the tire, squirts
it again, and inflates it to about twice regular pressure.  I haven't added
air in a year. I figure the solvents in WD 40 soften the rubber enough to
let it conform to the rim irregularities or something . . . I wouldn't do it
to a road tire but . . . .   *