Re: [Shop-talk] To kill a refrigerator

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] To kill a refrigerator
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:50:19 -0700
> Nick, the problem is with people from their generation in the US is
> that they lived through the Great Depression.  They don't like
> accountants or numbers or anything they can't hold in their hands.

My late wife's grandparents literally lost their farm, because the county
agent talked them into buying a tractor just before the Great Depression
hit.  When they couldn't make the payments because no one had money to buy
their crops, the bank took the entire farm ! (and sold it for pennies on the
dollar)

>     This has made for one of the most entertaining shop-talk
> threads in a long time, but it seems really silly.

Makes perfect sense to me ... have you priced a decent new refrigerator
recently ?  Not one of those injection-molded plastic things but with honest
glass and copper and steel in it ?

I'm actually still unhappy that my SO talked me into getting rid of my old
frig ... the new one is significantly lower quality, IMO.  Yeah, it no doubt
burns less electricity and costs less, ... but it feels like it should have
been made in Japan 40 years ago.  When we looked at all the popular brands &
models, probably 1/3 of them already had something broken just sitting in
the showroom.  There were 3 different pieces of plastic that broke or popped
apart, just moving it into the house.

Add to that the price, which could easily be several MONTHS disposable
income for a retired couple ... I wouldn't buy a new one either !

Randall