RE: Any using Nitrogen?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Any using Nitrogen?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 08:40:39 -0800
> I believe that the claim for better gas mileage is based on the idea
> that the tires will remain at the proper inflation pressure, which in
> turn will give better gas mileage.  But so would checking/adjusting your
> air pressure more often.

And over-inflating your tires (according to the vehicle maker's inflation
recommendation) will improve it even more.  Running at the max inflation shown
on the tire is usually good for 5-10% less fuel burned on the highway.  The
tires may tend to wear out in the middle first, but it seems to me that they
last just as long overall.  And on a per-mile basis, tread is a lot cheaper than
gasoline, anyway.

Randall