Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: 2 vs 4 post lifts
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 13:30:10 -0500
On 2/1/07, eric@megageek.com <eric@megageek.com> wrote:

> James wrote... >Exhaust systems are a breeze because everything is exposed;
> would be more >difficult with the 2-post. (Damn, I'm gettng sucked into
> this.)  Just curious, but how could exhaust work be *more* difficult on a 2
> post?   I've worked on both types, and 2 posts are by far, the LEAST
> intrusive to under body work. Here is another example, doing brake jobs on
> all for wheels.  super easy with a 2 post, but with a 4 post, you need to
> rejack each wheel after you jack up the car.  Not to mention that you have
> a ramp in the way once you get the tire off. I'm not saying that 4 posters
> are garbage, just that they are meant more for storage than work. FWIW, I
> have never seen a 4 post lift in a service station, yet, I have also not
> seen one withOUT at least one 2 post lift. Again, not a flame, YMMV. Inch
> "We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute." Tori Amos

I've seen lots of shops with four post lifts.  They get used for
exhaust work, becasue you like to know where the suspension is going
to be, and because there's better clearance.  (I put an exhaust in on
a car that was on a one-post lift, that's a pain!)  They get used in
quick lube bays, because you just have to drive the car on the ramps,
so you save a minute or two, not having to spot the car.  And I've
never seen an alignment rack on anything other than a four post lift.
They're also cheaper, so places that have huge buildings like them as
add ons.

Given an unlimited budget, I'd have an in-ground two-post.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com