Re: Air line piping: Part Deux...er...Trois

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Air line piping: Part Deux...er...Trois
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:54:43 -0500
On 1/2/07, John T. Blair <jblair1948@cox.net> wrote:

> At 11:54 AM 1/2/2007 -0700, Paul wrote:
> >
> >on a related note, I recall a mention in the prior thread re: piping
> >adding to volume of stored air in tank...
> >
> >I did a diddy with EXCELL...think i got it right..came up with
> >

> >Pipe ID Vol / 100 ft ft / gal
> >[inch] [cu ft] [gals]
> >
> >0.50 0.14 0.02 5486
> >0.75 0.31 0.04 2438
> >1.00 0.55 0.07 1372
> >1.25 0.85 0.11 878
> >1.50 1.23 0.16 610
> >

> >If i did this correctly (somebody please verify for us), then 200 ft of
> >3/4 in pipe adds 0.08 gallons of air storage;
> >
> >or, you'd need over 5000 ft of pipe to add one gal of air storage. at $2/
> >ft, roughly, that's $10,000 of pipe for a gallon of air....
>

> Not too sure how you set got your figures, but I think they are a little off.
> I just went out and measured a Gal. can of lacquer thinner. The can measures:
>

>  Inches Ft
> Hight - 9.5 .79666
> Width - 7 .58333
> Depth - 4 .33333
>
> Volume of a rectangle
>
> V = L * W * D
>
> V = .7966 * .5833 * .333 = .158 Cu Ft.
>
> ----
>
> Given a Pipe of 1" Dia. or .0833 Ft.
>
> Area = Pi * R^2
>
> A = 3.14 * (.0833/2)^2
> A = 3.14 * .04165^2
> A = 3.14 * .0017347
> A = .005447 Sq Ft
>
> The cross sectional area of a 1" pipe is about .005447 Sq ft.
>

> So if a gal is .158 Cu Ft
>

> -----
>
> Now setting up a ratio
>
> .158 Cu ft 1 Gal
> ----------- = ---------
> .005447 Sq Ft x
>

> we get x = .005447 Sq ft * 1 Gal
>  ------------
>  .158 Cu Ft
>
>  x = .0344 Gal
>  --------
>  ft
>
> Or about 29 Ft/ gal

A gallon is 0.134 cubic feet.  Assuming the rest of the math is right,
that's 0.0406 gal/ft, or 24.6/ gallon.  If you go to 2" pipe, you get
a gallon every 6 feet.  A shop I used to work in had a loop around
outside, of 2 or 2 1/2 pipe, about 180 feet or so.  That's 30 gallons,
1/4 the capacity of the two 60 gallon tanks attached to the
compressor, so a 20% increase in capacity.  That's somewhat more pipe
than you're going to have in your garage at home, of course.

Industrial compressed air systems often have enlarged supply lines
near intermittent high-draw loads.  Easier to find space for the pipe
than a surge tank.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com