Re: Air line piping: Part Deux...er...Trois

To: "Bill Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Air line piping: Part Deux...er...Trois
From: paul.mele@usermail.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:54:23 -0700 (MST)
on a related note, I recall a mention in the prior thread re: piping
adding to volume of stored air in tank...

I did a diddy with EXCELL...think i got it right..came up with

Pipe ID         Vol / 100 ft    ft / gal
[inch]          [cu ft] [gals]

0.50            0.14    0.02    5486
0.75            0.31    0.04    2438
1.00            0.55    0.07    1372
1.25            0.85    0.11    878
1.50            1.23    0.16    610

If i did this correctly (somebody please verify for us), then 200 ft of
3/4 in pipe adds 0.08 gallons of air storage;

or, you'd need over 5000 ft of pipe to add one gal of air storage.  at $2/
ft, roughly, that's $10,000 of pipe for a gallon of air....

Not that you'd build a storage tank out of pipe, but just to show that the
contribution is trivial.

>From prior threads, the metal pipes allow cooling of air, condensation of
water, drainage of the condensate to and end-point/ drain.  I didn't see a
re-hash of this in the most recent thread, re: Chem-Aire.  Black pipe
obvioulsy will rust, but ultimate weakening of the pipe from this loss is
up to an ME to post.  I'd guess it's a few lifetimes before it's
significant.  Copper seems to be ahead on the heat loss and rust
fronts...wish I'd bought some before the price went up.

Since I also read that cool/ DRY air is big deal (and it makes sense if
you think about it), I sketched up a zig-zag cooling section, made with
the copper pipe/ fin combo used for some baseboard heaters.  don't know if
it needs a little fan (sooooo many left over  from computer parts pile...)
to help it.  We need an ME to calculate for us the right size of the
mini-cooler.  I'd propose that it would especially usefull if going the
Chem-Aire route...

...awaiting your collective thoughts..

Paul