[Top] [All Lists]

News story about generators in Washington state

To: Shop-Talk List <>
Subject: News story about generators in Washington state
From: Doug Braun <>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 22:56:14 -0800 (PST)
One advantage of a proper, permanent installation:

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- About 100 people have been
poisoned by carbon monoxide produced by generators and
charcoal grills used for warmth and light during the
widespread power outages caused by a major storm in
western Washington state.

One man died of inhaling the colorless, odorless gas.
At least six other people were treated for carbon
monoxide poisoning in Oregon.

"We're dealing with a carbon-monoxide epidemic in
western Washington," said Dr. Neil Hampson of Virginia
Mason Medical Center, which treated more than 55
people in its hyperbaric chamber, where pressure is
used to force oxygen into the blood.

"This has the potential to be the worst case of
carbon-monoxide poisoning in the country," Hampson said.

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>