sealing concrete

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: sealing concrete
From: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:42:37 GMT
Garage is up, but I still have a lot to do.  I am shifting my
conventional garage doors to a high lift configuration and still have
to build the walls for & plumb the bathroom.  But first I need to
consider what to do with the floor.  I charged up to Lowes ready to
buy some sealer in order to get it down before the floor gets too
dirty and the garage begins to fill up.  First problem is most
products want anywhere from 30 to 60 days wait on fresh concrete.
One of the finishers said he puts it down after a few days...

I wanted a slick finish and they did a pretty good job, but now most
products want me to etch it so the paint will get a good grip.  Do I
even need to seal it?  I have no problem with a bare concrete floor,
but thought sealing would prevent dusting and help keep the
inevitable oil drips/spills from seeping into the floor.

I would love epoxy but have seen too many problems with it bubbling
or lifting.  I was hoping a sealer would be less problematic.

Any experience or advice out there?

Matt in GA