Re: Shop expansion - general plan, concrete?? Looooong post

To: Wayne Farrington <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Shop expansion - general plan, concrete?? Looooong post
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:46:04 -0500
Wayne,

Thanks for the email, it makes things clearer.

One thing about walls, they have TWO sides! Even though one side is
drywalled, the other side is metal that is held on by screws. If you
open up this side of the wall and reroute the electrics out of the way
of the open you want to cut, things should be easier.

Don't forget to put a header over the 10' wide opening before you
knock out the studs. Depending on how much weight is on that wall you
may have to build a temporary (pony) wall to hold up the ceiling, etc.
while you cut the studs and put in the header.

Finally, since you want to be able to pass from one room to the other,
you will want to get the floors to be at the same elevation. Removing
the siding and working the new concrete to match the level of the old
will be much easier this way.

Peace,
Pat

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --