RE: Pulse chargers / parasitic voltage loss

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pulse chargers / parasitic voltage loss
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:40:56 -0800
> If your battery goes dead after a week of non-driving, you have a
> serious current drain somewhere.  You should
> get a meter that measures current, and track it down.  It should
> be quick to find by pulling fuses, without
> having to sit around and wait to see how long the battery takes
> to go dead.

Just for an example of one that was hard to find ... I had a similar problem
with a 70 Audi 100LS.  But it was erratic, sometimes the battery would be
dead overnight and other times it would go for weeks without exhibiting the
problem.  No current drain was detected and replacing the alternator,
regulator and battery did not help.

Problem turned out to be the control relay for the rear window defogger.
Mounted to the firewall, one contact received power even with the ignition
off.  Under just the right conditions (heavy dew), enough current would leak
from the hot contact to the switch side of the coil to energize the coil,
closing the contacts and powering the defogger !

Never would have found it, except that one night I was walking past the car
and noticed the defogger indicator light glowing on the dash !

Randall