Re: winding garage door springs

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: winding garage door springs
From: "Jim S." <aztvr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 20:48:25 -0800 (PST)
I have done it myself like that, but it was scary, and I realized I could have
seriously damage something with flying rods. (something covered with hair or
skin).

  My neighbor did it himself even after consulting with me.  He did not need
stitches afterward, but the marks on his arm afterwards were impressive.

  The second time I had to do it, I hired it out.  Some things are not worth
the risk.

  whoever does it, I'd suggest that there be no vehicles inside the garage in
case something goes flying.  You don't want anything to hit any expensive
targets, if it misses soft tissue.

  Jim.

Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com> wrote:

Howdy,

I've got a weak garage door that has a wound spring around a rod at the
front top of the door...

Do I just need a couple rods of the appropriate size to wind a little more
tension into the spring? Presumably I should put a rod in, hold it, and
loosen what looks like a set screw, then wind a turn into it, reset the
set screw, test, etc.?

Yahoo! Photos