house wiring problem

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: house wiring problem
From: Traci Pearson <pearsontechcomm@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:34:38 -0600
OK, here's a question from an electrical idiot. I've got an odd problem
going on with my interior house electrical, and I'm hoping you'll have some
ideas.

Yesterday morning, I found my refrigerator off and discovered that the GFIC
outlet just "upstream" from it had tripped. It would trip again as soon as
I reset it. The refrigerator itself was on a regular outlet. And the outlet
"downstream" from it wasn't working either.

Heavy extension cord to the next GFIC outlet "upstream" got the
refrigerator running again. That one tripped this evening and, like the
other one, trips again as soon as I reset it.

So, I put the extension cord out to the living room, to another circuit
altogether. Then, just before I was going to go to bed, I decided it would
be safest to place the little GFIC I use in my garage outlets (a "portable"
one attached to a short, heavy extension cord) between the refrigerator's
extension cord and the regular outlet in the living room. Oops. It tripped
right away. And trips again as soon as I reset it.

So, what's going on here?
1) Gremlins in my wiring
2) Squirrels in my attic have finally done damage
3) Refrigerator is going bad
3) ?

Help! My food is going to get warm too soon!
Thanks!

Traci Pearson
Pearson Technical Communication
Writing, Editing, Information Design  Print and Online
pearsontechcomm@comcast.net
(303) 410-9101