RE: home standby generator

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: home standby generator
From: "MDunst / Gasket Works USA" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:28:02 -0700
In searching for a generator...

1)  Determine what kind of fuel you are going to be able to store.   Propane
is easy and lasts indefinetly.  Problem is that it has less BTU output than
gasoline or diesel.    Diesel in my opinion is best -just have to have a
good water trap/filter.  The battery to start the unit also has to be
charged in continuous trickle.  Better units excercise themselves... or you
can do it once a week or so.

2) most diesel units run at 1800rpm or slower and will provide at least
single phase 220v. - Even if it provides three phase you can get an
electrician to tap it for your needs.

3)  I have a salvaged dietz three cyl diesel air cooled / marine continuous
duty unit unit at 32kva.  Noisey but, dependable.
I have a 300gal fuel tank (standard oil home heating tank).  I had dyed
diesel delivered (non-taxed) when it was cheap.  I replenish the tank as
needed.

4)  In purchasing my motorhome... I specified an onan 10kw diesel although
it was bigger than the MH needed it was also a second backup and wired
appropriately, could satisfy household needs.  Besides, it has a dedicated
fuel tank on the chassis and is quiet.

5) I have a very detailed electronic switching scheme for my backfeed setup.
I don't rec. this to anyone unless you really have a good grasp of this kind
of stuff.    Dependable auto transfer switches of 100amp loads are not
cheap.

Mordy Dunst
Gasket Works USA, LLC
www.headgasket.com