home standby generator

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: home standby generator
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:15:04 -0500
Hurricane Katrina left us with no electrical service for 5 days and my wife
with 6 wedding cakes to decorate and deliver. Rule #1... You can't do wedding
cakes in Alabama without A/C.  My little nat gas generator is only 7kw and
while it gives you lights and fans... no a/c...  time for Plan B

I'm looking at something in the range of 25-30 kw backup units so I can run 50
amps of a/c and about 30 amps of refrigeration, plus lights, tv,etc.  Will be
natural gas fired and I  want auto cutover and return to utility service.
>From what I see, Guardian is the best deal..

I'm looking for input, good experience, bad experiences, suggestions and
ideas...  I'm already wired for 100 amps  with a 100 amp manual transfer
switch, so some box swapping hopefully get me where I need to be... Fuel is
plumbed to old generator, so I'm hoping a new concrete pad and a little wiring
will do it...

tell me all I need to know....   I'm looking at 7-10 grand (25-30kw) and
that's a lot to swallow...  I need all the info I can gather..

thanks
john

like old ford trucks ???  check out my site
http://jniolon.clubfte.com
or our mother ship at
www.ford-trucks.com