[Fwd: Re: laser levels, part 2]

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: laser levels, part 2]
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:20:20 -0500
I thought I sent this to the list, but I sent it only to Steve Trovato.
Sorry.

Steve,

I too have a RoboToolz laser which I both when they first same out. It
worked really well, but hasn't been the most reliable laser I've used.

I hope your PC-RoboToolz laser is better than the original (Pre-PC)
RoboToolz laser! I bought mine back when they first came out. It worked
fine for a few months, then it would shut off at times. Found out there
was a design problem that caused the laser to shut off when used in
direct sunlight when the temperatures were about about 90 degrees. I
live in Texas, and that was enough to trip it. I sent it back to the
factory and they sent me a new one. Cool!

About a year later for some reason the level calibration went out.
Adjusting the set screw didn't bring it back, in fact, the set screw
fell off inside the unit! Back to the factory and a no charge repair.
Cool again!

I got ready to use the laser again about 6 months ago and found that the
zero is off  again, and it won't adjust. It was then that I found out
the PC now owns them. A call to PC got the response of "Sure, we can fix
it. Just send it with $85 (I think) and we'll take care of it." They
also have a shop licensed in Houston that would do it for about $90.

I haven't abused the laser since it was back for repair last time. I
always lock it before moving it (what caused the problem last time), and
don't kick it around, even in the case. I asked PC if this laser was
particularly sensitive to shock and handling and was told that it was a
much bester laser than their other lasers in that area!

I now have a useless, but cute yellow laser gathering dust. I will not
be getting it repaired, or use it again. In fact, if anyone wants to buy
it for $80 I'll sell it, including shipping. For about another $100 you
can get a functioning laser.

Steven Trovato wrote:

OK, first let me say that I am ashamed of those of you who are trying to
discourage this purchase.  This is the shoptalk list.  I believe that
tools are a universal good and whoever acquires a large enough
collection is guaranteed admission to heaven.    Now that I've got that
off my chest, I have one of these:  Porter-Cable RoboToolz RT-7210-1
RoboLaser Self-Leveling Laser Level.  You can look it up at amazon to
see what it is.  It doesn't spin fast and make a line.  It has a remote
control, and you can move the laser point left and right to the spot
where you're working.  The spot is much brighter than a line would be.
There's also a prism sort of thing that can make a six foot or so dotted
line.  For my use, it seems great, because it's bright enough to see and
I'm not using it with other people who need the line near them.

As for the water level, I did that before I bought this.  I found that
using just a tube, I was constantly running between the two ends of the
tube and that meant having to tack the tube up in some way.  I found it
to be a major pain when working alone.  I bought this thing that
attaches to one end of the tube.  It's a little box, sort of the size of
a stud finder thing.  You line up the line where you want.  Then you go
to the other end.  As you raise the tube, when the water line hits the
point on the box, it makes noise.  I found this much easier to do when
working without another person at the other end.  It wasn't expensive
either.  Look for Zircon ElectraLevel Electronic Water Level.  It's on
the Home Depot site for $25.

-Steve