Re: Using CO2 for Lincold 135 welder

To: Aric Datesman <adatesman@speakeasy.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Using CO2 for Lincold 135 welder
From: Geoff <geoff_m@bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:20:06 +1200
Aric Datesman wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Quick question for you as I've been unable to Google my way into an
>answer.....  I recently picked up a Lincoln 135 MIG / Flux welder for some
>projects and am unsure what the gas regulator is expecting.  I ever so
>conveniently have a pair of 20# co2 tanks sitting around for a beverage
>system and would like to use them rather than having to rent a cylinder from
>the local gas supplier.  Problem is I can't find documentation about whether
>the regulator is expecting liquid (dip tube in the cylinder) or gas (no dip
>tube).  I know that straight CO2 is not ideal, but I'm not concerned with
>making anything pretty at the moment and would like to use what's on hand if
>possible.
>
>Any thoughts?

I run CO2 on my mig welder. The regulator is an Argon one, with an
adapter that matches the threads on the valve on the bottle to those on
the regulator. It all works fine.
I have another bottle (about 900mm tall) that I use on a beer keg when
it is not on a welder. This has a CO2 regulator - the connection to the
bottle is the only difference, as it does not need the adapter.
Geoff