Re: home networking

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: home networking
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 01:59:37 -0400
NOT.

MAC filtering is one of the biggest jokes in wireless
security.  Along with don't broadcast the SSID, use WEP, keep the WAP
in the center of the house, disable DHCP, etc....

If you want to use wireless security, use WPA or the now coming to
market WPA2.  Personal mode is fine for almost everyone's home
network.  Right now, everything else is a joke.

The larger point that's being missed is that wired and wireless are
not mutually exclusive.  I have the whole house wired because PC to
PC transfers at gigabit speeds are better - esp, as noted before with
video files...

Also, if I was pulling wire in a house now, I'd use CAT6.  Overkill
this year but 5 years down the road, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't.

At 06-29-2005 at 10:16, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Bob Spidell's
keyboard and said:

>re:
>
>"I just want to keep those who are looking to abuse my bandwidth
>from just jumping on."
>

>Use MAC filtering.
>

>bs

Cheers!