Re: home networking

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: home networking
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:08:53 +0000
I am beyond happy to have someone else say that.  I must have heard a thousand
times - even from our isc guy, "get a wireless router".  true, you'd either
have to be treking through the woods or in my front yard to get a signal, but
from time to time client information might go from the office to my p.c. if I
do something from home and that's just a chance I'm not willing to take.  I
know you can make it all but impossible to get in if you x, y, and z, but with
wired connections I *know* there's no way (or at least no way with a sniffer
driving down the street) that you're getting anything.

and I mentioned the exact same thing -- kiddie porn or music downloading on my
i.p. as well.  people just look at you funny.

having said that, I might put a wireless access point in the backyard someday,
if I ever convince myself it'd be secure enough to surf back there (see above
kiddie porn concerns).  but I'll never connect to it with a computer that might
see client information.  I just don't want to have that conversation if the
worst were to happen.

I think my cable is fixed.  guess it's time to drop some coin.

scott