RE: Chain Saw Recommendations

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chain Saw Recommendations
From: "Gordie's Garage" <mg_garage@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:21:38 -0500
> Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent chain saw that

I will second the Stihl recommendation.
Having said that, I have a Husqvarna with an 18" bar.  I couldn't justify
the Stihl for the limited amount of use it gets.  I used it a whole 12 hour
long day at a friends cabin in N. Michigan clearing a good sized area, small
and large trees.  Other than that, probably another days worth in last 2 yr.
Starts right away and has done what I needed.  Haven't even sharpened the
chain yet, but it needs it.

Just be careful, and use ropes if you have to.  As has been said, you can
get surprised by how a tree falls.

> is capable
> of downing a good sized tree?

Well, define good size.  Again I agree with the previous poster that it is
possible to fell a 36" tree with an 18" bar if you're good. Certainly that
is condsidered a "good size" one.

Seriously Kai, be careful, they're a very dangerous tool.

Safety Fast!

Gordie Bird
'62 MGA
'67 MGBGT