Re: Ok, the bearing problem is solved ...

To: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ok, the bearing problem is solved ...
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:51:51 -0800
At 09:58 AM 3/11/2005 -0600, Arvid Jedlicka wrote:

>I found a local distributor of Timken bearings and bought the
>items I needed for my Asian 3-in-1 rebuild.
>
>So now I'm on to measurement tools. I'm looking for a caliper,
>a 1 inch micrometer and a dial indicator. There are huge price
>differences and I [again] have no idea what brand names would
>be the most reasonable in terms of a long term tool investment.
>
>I'm sure that "you get what you pay for", but there is also the
>"as a home user, quality above X level is not a wise investment"
>which I would also like to apply.
>
>Some of the names in the catalogs and on the internet are:
>
>Enco
>Fowler
>brown & sharpe
>Mitutoyo
>Interapid
>Starrett

I own Starrett, Mitutoyo, Fowler, and Enco.
The Enco is good and cheap and available from the catalog.
The Fowler is serviceable as well.

My dial indicator is chinese and cheeeep.

But I'm proud to own a Mitutoyo digital caliper.
So I'll admit I can get a little emotional about tools.
There's a certain number that I toss on the floor.
But not the Starrett.  It's beautiful.

If you don't own any quality tools, here's an opportunity to
understand the differences.  I think they'll all get the job done,
but some are a pleasure to use.

In business, you see expensive suits and Rolex watches.
I suspect there's some similar psychology involved.

Me?  I don't even own a watch

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA