engineered lumber - LVL

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: engineered lumber - LVL
From: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:12:41 -0500
I'm thinking about a small basement remodel in a townhome, with a short (~6
foot) basement ceiling.  I'm looking for an LVL that will be able to take
the load of the existing dimensional 2"x 7", probably old growth floor
joists.  Reason is, I want to be able to sister up the new LVLs, and then
cut down the existing old joists as many inches as possible to get some
headroom in the basement.

I just checked Georgia Pacifics site, and the shortest LVL they have is
about 9".  Not sure if anyone makes a shorter joist, or if there are any
other solutions out there, such as sistering up 4" x 4" posts to make the
span.  The space is only about 15' x 15', nothing heavy above it.  Are there
any rough load/span charts for looking at different options for doing this?

Thanks,
PJ