Seasonal Cottage Plumbing

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Seasonal Cottage Plumbing
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:12:20 -0500
I have a 3-season cottage in Northwestern Connecticut
(Bethlehem) where I experience freezing problems with the
plumbing, due to my desire to extend the season as much as I
can.  Ultimately, I plan to replace the entire system to
permit easy draining so that I can use it on a winter
weekend simply by charging it up and releasing it when I
leave.  Looking under the house now reveals pipes that sag
and dip, meaning that low points always will tend to hold
some last bit of water.  So, I know that careful attention
to the pitch will help considerably.

But, what is the best suggestion for materials to withstand
a light freeze?  I know there are two grades of copper pipe,
which I presently use, and for replacements as things needed
fixing, I've gone with the heavier stuff.  What I'm curious
about is whether the plastic systems are more durable for
this sort of thing.  I interpret from what I read at the
stores that plastic is now suitable for hot and cold potable
systems, so I expect it is okay to use.  But is it as
durable?  And if I go with heated pipes with the pipe wrap
products, will they be compatible?

Thanks.