Re: Powder Coating Question

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: Powder Coating Question
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:13:18 -0500
I have the Eastwood gun and also purchased the HF unit on a super sale.  I find
the Eastwood gun easier to control the amount of powder.  The HF gun seems to
want more air pressure to work properly, and dumps powder out faster.  It also
makes a difference what powder one uses.  I bought a lot from
supluspowdercoatings.com and some of the blends are much finer than what
Eastwood sells.

The thought of moving that curing lamp around a big item a little at a time
convinced me that painting would actually be faster, so that's what I've done
on bigger things, utilizing POR-15, rustoleum and urethanes, at various times.
If I truly wanted a frame powder coated, I reasoned that I would be better off
taking it to the local guy to have him do it.  In the home environment with the
portable heat source, you
need at least 20 minutes at full temperature to cure it at each area.  How many
areas or stops do you need to do a frame?  I think lots.  A day's worth at
least?