Re: Lally column rust

To: strovato@optonline.net (Steven Trovato), shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lally column rust
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:57:11 -0400
Yes, I definitely had expert advice, from my uncle (gone now and I miss him)
who was a contractor and renovated many historic buildings in Chestnut Hill,
PA.  He knew his stuff.

You can still replace the pole.  Using a house jack, which looks like a post
but with a screw on one end.  They are usually 3 or 4 inches in diameter.  Put
one on each side of the bad post and raise the beam.  (Actually one is enough,
but two gives you peace of mind.)  Then cut off the old post at the floor, put
down a metal plate, larger than the bottom of the new post, put in a new post,
lower the house and remove the house jack.

It's a piece of cake!  (NOT!)  But it is possible.

Allen Hefner

- - - - - - - -

In a message dated 8/13/2003 11:22:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
strovato@optonline.net writes:

> Allen, you are a braver man than I am.  I'm glad your house is still
> standing, but I wouldn't try removing a column without being very sure of
> myself.  I hope you got some good, expert advice first.  In my case, there
> is a steel I beam with a column at each end.  As much as I would love to
> eliminate this pole, it is the only thing holding up one end of the I beam.
>
> And to those who suggested that I just slip in another one to replace this
> one, let me give you some more information.  The house was built by pouring
> footings around the perimeter, and piers where the poles are.  The poles
> were put in place, and at some point after that, the floor was poured.  The
> bottom of the pole is embedded in the slab.  There is no
> way to "slip it
> out".  I would have to cut out a section of the slab.

Allen Hefner
Philadelphia Region SCCA RoadRally Steward
'77 MG Midget (FS)
'75 MG Midget (The Project)
'99 Ford Contour SE Sport (2.5L 24v V6)