Re: Lally column rust

To: dick@grinalot.freeuk.com (Dick Atkinson), shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lally column rust
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:26:30 -0400
In a message dated 8/6/2003 10:01:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dick@grinalot.freeuk.com writes:

> > Hi Roland.  A lally column is one of those steel poles commonly found in
> > garages and basements holding up various parts of the house.  Sometimes
> > they're filled with concrete, but I have no idea if mine
> is.

- - - - - - - -

I removed one of them from the basement in my last house.  It was in the way of
the new pool table.  We jacked up the beam with 4X4s that were a little longer
than the floor-to-beam height.  The post isn't held in place with anything but
the weight of a house, so it fell out.  Concrete filled, as you said.

Next, I bolted a 4"X4"X3/8" angle iron, about 16' long, to the side of the
wooden beam.  Removed the 4X4s and the house is still standing.  Actually,
there was no damage to the plaster walls above that area over the next ten
years.

Allen Hefner
Philadelphia Region SCCA RoadRally Steward
'77 MG Midget (FS)
'75 MG Midget (The Project)
'99 Ford Contour SE Sport (2.5L 24v V6)