Re: Slightly off-topic question

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: Slightly off-topic question
From: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:09:51 -0700
Randall..

I'm suprised that only one joist has cracked unless you were joking to some
extent about "mostly books" up there.  You are right that  2x6's at 48"OC were
not intended to hold any live loads, only the lateral loads to keep the walls
up.

Sistering the broken beam as you propose should work fine.  I would use both
glue and some 5/16" lag screws with some hefty washers staggered at 12" OC.  I
wouldn't rely on glue alone because it can be difficult to get joists to sister
properly under these condidions without mechanical aids.

I would find some way to get some additional joists in at 24" OC. if possible,
even if you need to nail a 2x4 plate on the face of the wall to help with end
bearing for slightly shorter joists.   You could also build up the bearing plate
to the top of the existing 2x6 joists and use metal joist hangers.  With the 48"
space you should be able to get a  full length joist in diagonally.

The other thing that I would do is add solid cross bracing (2x6 perpendicular to
joists) between all of the joists at the center (or even better at 1/3 points)
to prevent twisting of the lower edge of the joists.   When a 2x joist is
allowed to twist it quickly looses its strength and will fail.   A simpler way
of blocking the joists is to just add a 2x4 the entire length of the room and
nail to to the bottom of all of the joists if you don't mind a bump in the
ceiling.

You have been lucky so far, hope it continues with the project.
Bill Hook