Re[2]: Slightly off-topic question

To: Shop-Talk list <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re[2]: Slightly off-topic question
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 17:19:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 12:00:21 -0700 Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the thoughts, Peter.
>
> > The cracked appears, from your post, to be 6 feet from the wall.
>
> My apologies, the break is actually near the center.  It's probably 2'
> long
> and runs at an angle.  The new 'sister's would overlap it by several
> feet,
> although I'm really expecting the new wood to carry the whole load.  It's
> just easier to leave the broken one in place than to remove it (and have
> support the floor above it).  I'll make them longer, if Home Depot has
> them.

what will happen is that you will strengthen part of the system, but create
substantially higher loads at the ends of the sistering joists. the end
result will be to create a new break at this point.

you really need to try and reinforce the entire length.

richard
--
Richard Welty
rwelty@suespammers.org                                 Averill Park Networking