RE: heated parts washer?

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: heated parts washer?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:09:18 -0800
> I have no doubt that your math is correct. But you based your
> assumptions on the need to raise the temperature from 50 F to 68F. What
> if you merely insulated the tank and kept it warm with a heat tape of
> the type sold for keeping pipes from freezing in trailer homes, etc.?
> Wouldn't that do the job with less power consumed? (Just asking, I don't
> know the answer.)

Sure, no problem.  Well, except that most heat tapes have an internal
thermostat that shuts them off around 40F.  And that they dissipate little
enough heat that it's going to take some very good insulation.  But the
concept is sound.

Many of the above-ground hot tubs sold here in So CA work the same way.  By
insulating well (4" or more of Styrofoam on all sides, plus a fairly
efficient vapor barrier to avoid evaporation loss), they can use a 1.5kW
heater that runs on a normal 115v outlet.  Takes about 3 days to get them
hot the first time, but I've heard that the daily power consumption is
fairly low.  Of course, we sorta ran out of electricity not too long ago, so
it may be that "fairly low" is in the eyes of the beholder <g>

Randall