Re: heated parts washer?

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: heated parts washer?
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:50:56 -0500
I have no doubt that your math is correct. But you based your
assumptions on the need to raise the temperature from 50 F to 68F. What
if you merely insulated the tank and kept it warm with a heat tape of
the type sold for keeping pipes from freezing in trailer homes, etc.?
Wouldn't that do the job with less power consumed? (Just asking, I don't
know the answer.)

Mike

Randall Young wrote:

> I haven't tried it, and I hate to knock things I haven't tried, but unless
> my envelope has slipped a digit, it may not be practical.  Assuming your
> solvent weighs about 7 lb/gallon, your parts washer flows about 1 gpm, and
> the specific heat of the solvent is about 1 calorie/gram/degree C (same as
> water, actual value is probably slightly lower), I get 200 watts required to
> raise the flow by 1 degree C.  So, to go from 50F to 68F (which would still
> feel cold), you would need 2kW of heater.
>
> The HF 20 gallon parts washer says it flows 50 gph.  So for the same heat
> input (and a full 20 gallons of solvent), it's only going to take 25 minutes
> or so to warm the whole tank up.  I think I'd go for less solvent in the
> tank (I only use 5 gal or so at a time), and maybe a timer that turns the
> tank heater on before I want to use it.  It usually takes me a while to get
> the part off, anyway <g>
>
> Randall
>

> > While we're on the topic of parts washers, I was wondering, has anyone
> > tried to do anything to warm the solution?  I would imagine it
> > would work a
> > little better, but more importantly perhaps, it would be more pleasant to
> > work with.  I was thinking perhaps one could warm the fluid as it goes
> > through the pumping system.

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://home.att.net/~msloane>

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve
the quality of life, please press 3." --Alice Kahn