RE: Lift

To: "Ron Schmittou" <rs1121@msn.com>, "shop-talk"
Subject: RE: Lift
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:55:58 -0800
At 03:55 PM 1/12/2002 -0600, Ron Schmittou wrote:

>OK - I just joined this list at the advice of someone on the Lotus list - so
>watch out another newbie!!
>
>Anyway, I am looking to purchase a lift for my garage and am interested in
>the following features:

   I second everything Trevor already has said.  I have a lift in my garage
that had a 9ft. ceiling height, it was REALLY tight and the only reason I
could put a car underneath was because both my cars were roadsters with
fold down windshields.  I was left with less than 6inches to spare when the
car was up, I actually had my wife watch the ceiling and the car when I
would raise it.  Great idea for doubling up the space in your garage
though.  I removed some rafters and now have a lot more room, prior to that
a normal car would only get off the ground by about 4 feet, nice working
height if you have a chair with wheels in the garage.  You may be able to
move some rafters around to get you more height like I did.

    Suspension work is often mentioned as the reason for having a lift but
realistically, I don't think people work on suspension that much.  I know I
put my suspension together and don't play with it until I break it or it is
time to replace something.  I can't believe that suspension work is a
weekly thing for anyone to make that a priority for a lift.  Having said
that, a 2-post is preferred for suspension work but a 4-post will do it
also.  Just lift the car and then put a bottle jack on a lift bridge and
lift the wheels off.  You get some limited access but not enough to worry
about in my belief.

   One thing to consider is any oil or fluid leaks, you need to have
something  that is easily put on and removed between the 2 cars if you are
going to park one above the other.  In my case the lift manufacturer sells
a plastic pan like thing that goes across the ramps and is very light and
easy to remove when working.

    Mine is also on casters and can be rolled outside, I had to modify the
header of the door opening to do it though because the legs were short
enough but some bolts stuck up above that and hit the header, nothing a
router could not handle (I cut 2 grooves into the header, 3in. wide by 1
1/2in. deep).  It works but unless I am working on my GMC truck, its not
worth the hassle.

   Here are some pics _before_ I took out the rafters that show how tight
it was with 9ft.  I don't think 2 normal cars would fit here at all. Note
that this is the same pics that I posted about 3 months ago when someone
else asked about lifts, so if you saw them then, you don't need to look again.

http://www.singercars.com/restoration/images/finished.jpg
http://www.singercars.com/restoration/images/finished2.jpg

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/