Re: Lift

To: Ron Schmittou <rs1121@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Lift
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 18:39:41 -0500
Ron Schmittou wrote:
> Anyway, I am looking to purchase a lift for my garage and am interested in
> the following features:
>
>         1> Can use to work on vehicle including suspension bits
>
>         2> Can use to Double park a garage
>
>         3> can be rolled outside to do detail work on a car, and get it high
>enough
> to get completely under since I have only a     8 foot garage height.

  From my experience, you can do some of those things, but maybe
not all.

  If you are looking to double-park, you probably want a four post
hoist. You can double park with a two post but it gets to be
laborious because you always have to place the frame lifters
before lifting. With the four post you can just drive on, raise,
and drive under.

  The four post hoists are a little harder to work on suspension
bits, but you can. What you do is raise the hoist, and then
jack the car off the hoist using a normal-style jack, either
off the platform or off a "bridge" between the runners.

  When doing the above, the runners can be in your way, but
it's still nicer to work on than on the ground, you can walk
freely around underneath, and move easily from working
on the side to working underneath, etc. Not as convenient
as a two post but certainly nice.

  As for the "rolling outside", this depends on the model
of hoist you buy. Mine doesn't roll around, but some do. This
might be useful if your driveway is flat enough to be safe
when you roll it out.

  The 8 foot garage height is really going to hurt you, both in
working space and double parking. Working space is ok, frankly
I don't lift my car that high anyways I like to work on a roll
around chair not standing up. That way all the tools can
be spread around the floor within easy reach.

  The 8 foot height is a problem though....

  Double parking in 8 feet is likely pretty hard. My
current garage is 10 feet, and my last garage was 10.5 feet,
and I find even 10 feet a little hard. It works, but driving
the car underneath you really notice how there isn't much
space to spare above the windshield.

   It depends on how much "dead space" there is built into your
hoist, meaning, how much vertical space does the platform
consume. To park two cars, you'll need the height of both
cars plus this "dead space". My midget plus my e-type plus
this dead space in my garage is probably 9 feet or more, I don't
have a lot of space to waste in my 10 feet.

  Here is a picture of my old 10.5 foot garage with a pair
of cars double parked, E-type over Midget. You can see that I
have about a foot to spare, which in my new house is only
six inches. :<

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/photography_pics/three_cars_in_a_two_car_garage.jpg

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.