Re: Bead blasting

To: "BOB NOGUEIRA" <nogera@Prodigy.Net>,
Subject: Re: Bead blasting
From: "John Viviani" <geeno@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 16:21:16 -0500
I work for a company that rebuilds many brake cylinders daily for cars. We
glass bead the entire cylinder, bore and press in a sleeve to make the bore
standard size again. If you are not planning on sleeveing the cylinder when
done DO EVERYTHING you can not to blast the bore. The glass beads will cause
pitting of the bore surface and also may cause some tapering of channels or
edges inside the cylinder that are used for retainers or seals. If glass
gets in the cylinder just clean it out just DO NOT directly blast the
surface. Take an index card or similar, make a tube and insert in the bore
so when it expands it is press in on outside of bore, and cut so it does not
stick out beyond bore, stuff the tube with paper or something, then use a
high quality duct tape to cover the ends of the bore, maybe two layers
(cheap duct tape will just disappear) and cut to match the outside edge of
the hole. For the bleeder hole either fit a bolt/screw in the opening or use
the old bleeder (if replacing bleeders), this just basically keeps glass
out, you can get away with leaving it open but means more beads to clean
out. And now blast away. Any thing left after can be removed with a wire
wheel. When you repaint be sure to use something that can resist brake
fluid. This all applies to steel cylinders.

Hope this helps
Gino
2003 Mini (ordered)-98 Chrysler-96 Miata(for sale)-95 Wrangler
79 LiL Red Truck-75 Spitfire(for sale)- 62 Chrysler- ?? Lotus 7 Replica