Air Compressors

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Compressors
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 22:01:31 -0800
   I am in the process of finally getting rid of my Sears 6.5HP Airless
compressor for a real compressor.  Tip sells the Curtis and Champion brand
and I believe I will go for the Champion 5HP.  Tip sells 2 of them and what
the heck does a magnetic starter do ?  The more expensive unit has a
magnetic starter on it along with a auto tank drain and ASME tank.  Due to
the free shipping it works out to only a little more money for me then the
other one which I have to pay shipping on.

   So what does a magnetic starter do ? why do I need one ?
   Why does one 5HP motor draw 22amps and the other draw 25amps (thats the
one with the starter).  Last question, I am on a "supposed" 30amp circuit
can I run a 25amp motor safely on that?  I say supposed because the
previous owner installed a 50amp breaker but left the 10 gauge wiring
alone.  I will fix that and put back a 30amp breaker.  I believe that 10
gauge is rated for 30amps.  Is there any special wiring I have to do for
the mag starter ?

  Any other compressors I should be looking at ?  I need some decent scfm
for my sand blasting and glass beading...someday painting too.

    Mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/