Re: three phase?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: three phase?
From: "Neil Sherry" <neil@sherry02.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:03:52 +0100
Cheers Dave,

Having read most of the stuff, I headed for my garage where I have a
three-phase bench grinder which I currently can't use. So I wired across two
of the legs, attaching the neutral to one and the live to the other (I'm in
the UK so we have a nominal 240VAC single phase supply). I used my drill to
get the grinder up to speed (both conveniently around 2800 rpm) and then
flicked the switch on the grinder. It runs, a bit down on power (but enough
to sharpen smallish drills). I checked the voltages. I'm inputting
(according to my meter) 245V. One phase coming out is 208V, the other is
172V. I haven't yet checked these with a scope.

So this seems a good possibility for the time when I stumble across a lathe,
whereupon I will start looking for a suitable redundant motor to act as a
spinner. In the meantime, I can use my grinder for light jobs (beats
resharpening drills on an angle grinder!)

Neil