Re: three phase?

To: sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Subject: Re: three phase?
From: George P Dausch IV <gpd4@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:10:11 -0400
Without the technical aspects.
You can buy from several different mfg's a unit that "tricks" 220V single
phase into three phase.  The cheapest unit, less than $200, is a box with
some capacitors.  The motor runs fine, but only puts out 2/3 rated hp.
The better setup uses a similar box, but also includes what looks like a
5hp electric motor.  Generates it's own third phase.  Even the smallest
one will run 5 or 6 motors at the same time.  Runs about $600 or so.  If
you can wire an outlet or circuit, you can wire this unit.
Once you have one, you can than buy 3 ph anything.  Real tools like my
bridgeport, but cheap because today's machine shops have all gone CNC.
Good luck.
GPD4