Re: Craftsman Wrenches

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Craftsman Wrenches
From: "Tw Cook" <tw@texas.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:03:10 -0500
I have rarely had a Craftsman tool fail other than from abuse (screwdrivers
as pry bars, and the time I dropped one across a battery and melted some
places in it), but have never been questioned on a return. I've even had
them spend a fair amount of time determining the current equivalent of some
discontinued tool so as to give me a fair exchange. On the other hand, I did
take care to figure out which of the local stores had people who could give
useful advice about tools. The store I usually shop at in Austin (Hancock
Center if any of you are local) has a tool department usually manned by a
couple of old-timers who will tell you not to buy a tool if they think it
isn't good - recent case, those 'quick wrenches', end wrenches with a notch
so that they sort of ratchet. I was looking at them one day and one of the
guys told me not to get them, said that they introduced those once before
back in the 60s and they weren't any good then either, that 2 out of 3 sets
were returned. Needless to say, I didn't get them!

Tw