mgs

Re: Front spring compression tool

To: Jason Spaeth <jasonspaeth@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Front spring compression tool
From: Paul Root <ptroot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:28:42 -0500
Jason Spaeth wrote:
> Hi MG Group:  I am now is the process of rebuilding both axle assemblies
> on my early '74 B.  Once they are complete, I will bring them to the
> body shop to be remounted on the car.
>
> Since 3 of the four lever shocks are leaking, I intend to convert all
> shocks over to the tube style.  Now, a couple of questions:
>
> 1.  Would you recommend the Moss conversion kits?  If not, where should
> I get them?

Last year sometime, Moss (Kelvin) found that the specs had changed on
the rear shocks they had in the kit. They had become way too hard.

That has been solved, and the shocks are supposed to be better.

However, this is one of the debates of this list. Along with Weber vs
SU. And the answer is always the same, stay with the lever arms.

Go to World Wide Autoparts in Madison, and Peter will sell you quality
rebuilds. They ship them out to you, and you put the old ones back in
the box and send them back. Easy as can be. And they are like new.

You can do the entire front end  yourself, with just common tools. You
might need a couple of large sockets, but that's it. Ok, we'll, you
can't ream the bushes for the kingpins, but the shops will do that for
you for not much. Quality Coaches or BMC (Brian).

> 2.  Since the assembly is off the car, how do I safely remove the front
> springs?  I read about the 'Sykes-Pickavant' spring compression tool in
> the Restoration Manual but I am wondering where I can buy or borrow/rent
> one - since I am sure it will only be a one-time use item.

You don't need one. The spring doesn't push that much. Get the car on
jack stands. Put your floor jack under the a-arms. Remove the kingpin
from the shock arm, and lower the jack slowly.

Oh, while you are rebuilding, be sure to check the bushes between the
crossmember and the frame. A couple of mine were gone, the rest were
just as well as gone. That's a bit of a pain, for post 74 cars, but not
bad. I did it without help.

> Thanks for your advice and happy motoring!
>
> Jason Spaeth
> North Branch, Mn

Paul.

--