mgs

Fw: Cam Recommendation for MGB

To: MG Mail List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Cam Recommendation for MGB
From: John Di Fede <difejo@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:41:24 -0700
I wrote:

>I am currently rebuilding my 1973 MGB engine and would like some advice
>regarding upgraded cam choices and >any recommendations or personal experience
>with a particular cam.

>I will be installing this cam into a MGB engine with a +.020 overbore and a
>ported cylinder head (based on Peter >Burgess "Power Tuning MGB" suggestions)
>with 1.625 inlet valves, peco exhaust, K&N filters and  HIF carbs (but I >have
>a Weber 45 DCOE and cannon manifold sitting on a >shelf in my garage)

Regarding the engine's compression.....

I've just measured the combustion chamber cc'c and estimate that the
compression ratio on this engine will be AT LEAST 9:1.

I've also found the Piper website in the UK where they claim their Fast Road
cam #BP270 will produce a 12 BHP gain.  Cam Stats = 276 duration,
intake/exhaust lift .405", overlap 62, @ 1500-6500 rpm power band.

This cam (or a variant of it) also was highly recommended by Peter Burgess.

My MG is not a racer.   I like to think of it as a modified street car.  I am
looking for more all around performance, while retaining a reasonable idle.

Any thoughts or comments experiences regarding this Piper cam in an otherwise
stock MGB ??

Here is the link to Piper.
http://www.pipercams.co.uk/NewPiperWeb/redesign/PiperCamFrames.html

Select "Austin Rover B Series MGA MGB"

CAUTION:  This link may take a while to load depending on your download speed.

As always,  Thanks!

John