mgs

Re: Crack of doom #&%^*@%!!!!

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>,
Subject: Re: Crack of doom #&%^*@%!!!!
From: "Don Markham" <markham@netusa1.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:56:26 -0700
Max

I have just recently installed a new door skin on my 67 bgt, It was not that
difficult. The whole trick I was told was to have the door installed and
properly aligned before starting so that you had know points to align the
skin to. All I did was to use my 4'" grinder with a sanding disc and grind
through the folded lip to remove the old skin. Once the old skin was off, I
carefully removed the areas of the lip that were welded in place (and marked
their locations for rewelding. Once everything was clean, I test fit the new
skin and then using the Eastwood Door Skin tool, started crimping the new
skin down SLOWLY, checking to be sure there is had not shifted at all. Once
the lips were folded over, I double checked the alignment  and then welded
the new skin in place at the original locations. While I had the old skin
off, I also completely cleaned and painted inside the door frame with
Eastwoods Corroless to prevent and rust. Also after the new skin was
completely installed and welded in place , I painted the inside of the skin
with Corroless as well. My hope is that in doing this I will prevent any
rust from starting inside the door.

Don Markham
67 MGB GT Special