mgs

Re: SB 42 on Appropriations Committee Suspense list?

To: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch), mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: SB 42 on Appropriations Committee Suspense list?
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 08:30:02 -0500
At 07:08 AM 7/18/97 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm not a Califorian either (and I never played one on TV) but I think
>that a mass assembly of cars is counter-productive. I don't know the
>answer but feel that if we don't make them (the power that be)aware of
>our presents then we will become a "non issue" and at the same time if
>we drive hundreds of cars to the steps of the Govenor's mansion they
>will not act to pass exemption laws because there are too many of us
>driving these cars.  I think, maybe, the best think is to voice, write,
>and e-mail our opinions and concentrate on stressing the "preservation
>of history" aspect. If we portray our selfs as enthusiasts who just
>like to take an occasional Sunday afternoon cruise I do not see how we
>can be considered a liability to the environment.
>Safety Fast,
>David Deutsch

 I beg to differ, and any number of 'grassroots' movements can be
illustrative. Of course, you wouldn't want to tie up traffic and block
entrances to public buildings! Just a gathering spread through out the
Sacramento, perhaps organized by various clubs. The point being that there
ARE a goodly number of well maintained classic cars. . .and their owners are
voters too. The sight of glistoning LBCs, 57 Chevies, Corvettes, Alfas and
on and on would help dispel the notion that the bill is simply for rusted
out Pintos and run down Caddys. If all was done in the friendly manner of
most LBC car shows, you couldn't help but win friends in high places.
 In a democracy, government does not 'rule', the rule of law comes from a
look in the eye of the people. (With paraphrasing apologies to Kim Stanley
Robinson)

Michael, New Bern, NC