Fwd: HTOBs

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: HTOBs
From: Larry Hoy <forumaccount@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:39:20 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I don't know if this made it to the list the first time.  Sorry if it
is a duplicate.

Larry
==================

Paul,

While the factory used a standard MG transmission, so the standard
clutch setup worked fine, most of the conversions in the "States" are
using something other than the MG transmission.

As  a result the options to operate the clutch are much different.
I'm not sure what was done in the 60's when GM first developed the
215, I'm not even sure what Rover did.  But it seems if you use a Borg
Warner 5 speed the option is a HTOB.  Part of this is related to bell
housing options and space considerations.

The HTOB is basically a small donut shaped cylinder.  It slides over
the tranny input shaft.  When the pedal is depressed the HTOB get
longer and depresses the clutch.  The problem is, the o-rings that
seal the two parts, they are prone to leaking.

Red told me his theory is some cars may develop certain harmonics
which tend to damage the system quicker.  I don't know if that is true
or not.  I do know that some people (me) seem to have more failures
than others.

I'm real good at driving my car without a clutch.  Which I might add,
is east to do with the Borg Warner T-5.

Larry Hoy