Re: HTOBs

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HTOBs
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:16:41 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I've been seeing references to these Hydraulic Throw-Out Bearings (?) for
some time.  Do they replace the standard carbon or roller bearing type?
Does it replace the external slave cylinder as well?  Why do people bother
with them, given the number of apparent problems in fitting and use, the
cost - I see prices like $225 quoted for them as opposed to about 12 UK quid
for a carbon and 40 UK quid for a roller bearing (V8 standard), and the fact
that putting hydraulics inside the bell-housing instead of outside is surely
a retrograde step maintenance-wise?

PaulH.