Re: First drive impressions and a question

To: "MGB-V8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First drive impressions and a question
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 21:57:16 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Congratulations, I wish I was there for a ride.  Are you sure that your
charging system is working  or that your battery is capable of holding a
charge?  Sounds like you're not getting enough juice to the starter.  You
could have a local auto parts store run a load test on your battery to see
how it holds a charge.  If you have a charger, charge it up and then turn on
your headlights and try to start the engine.  If the lights dim more than a
little, the battery probably has a dead or weak cell or you have a bad
connection between the battery and the starter.  Put a voltmeter on your
battery or any hot wire with the engine running to see what the alternator
is putting out.  Should be around 14 Volts if it is charging correctly.
Maybe just a loose ground strap or dirty or bad connection on the battery
terminal.  Of course the starter could be going out on you.  The auto parts
store could probably test that for you also.  Usually for free, hoping
you'll by a new one from them.

Good luck,

Dave 72 B