Re: [Mg-t] oil

To: Tuck Southworth <tuck.southworth@gmail.com>, Richard Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] oil
From: Mike E <redscirocco@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:55:55 -0400
Cc: "mg-t@autox.team.net" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
I have no argument with using 90 weight hypoid in the steering rack, but
according to one of Richard Knudsen's publications, the reason oil was used in
the steering rack was because grease would harden.  Today you can buy grease
that doesn't harden and which, according to Knudsen, you can use in your
steering rack.  This saves you from having to have a specially modified ,
oil-filled grease gun in your garage.  The other benefit is that it won't all
run out if there's a tear in your rack boots, leaving the rack dry.  Another
fellow told me he has always used a slurry of gear oil and grease.  It's worth
exploring further and making your own decision.

That said, I have always used gear oil, and right now my steering rack is
properly filled with oil - last time it was in the shop for another issue, I
had the rack boots replaced.  Being a British specialty shop, they have an
oil-filled grease gun on hand.
You'll hear lots of talk about engine oil and zinc (ZDDP), and some people are
quite passionate about it.  I use plain old 10W 30 (I buy Castrol, but any
brand name should work), which was recommended to me by my mechanic, who has
30+ years experience with British cars.  Since the engine was rebuilt
including a new camshaft and tappets several years ago (after I dropped a
valve!), everything appears to be fine.

The intertubes (and various lists) are abound with people who will insist that
using modern oil will lead to catastrophic wear, and just as many who say the
concern is grossly overblown.  I'm not claiming any expertise, but I've done
my own research, read reports (that are available online), looked at who is
saying what and why, and decided that I would not be overly concerned about
the amount of ZDDP in my oil.

-Mike