Re: [Mg-t] oil

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] oil
From: Ted Jackson <ted@the-jacksons.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:10:29 -0400
FWIW in my 1951 MGTD I use Redline MT90 in the gearbox, Redline 75W90 in
the differential, and I add a can of GM EOS part # 992869 with every oil
change, where I use Castrol 20W50 whenever I find it on sale. In the
steering rack I use Motomaster 80W90 Extreme Pressure Gear Oil.
(Canadian Tire)

I'm pasting in an article from the Ontario MG T Register where Frank
Mount, a noted MGT racer, made a recommendation which I follow.

Like Tuck I'll leave engine rebuilds/break-in for the experts.

Ted Jackson

  ZDDT Oil Additive

<http://www.omgtr.ca/technical/ZDDT%20Oil%20Additive/supplement.jpg>There has
been much discussion on the web about the fact that the latest oil
formulations have reduced, or eliminated, their ZDDT and Phosphorus
content. There are still specialty oils available which have ZDDT levels
at 1200ppm or above. However modern oils, even our beloved Castrol
20W50, fall far below this mark.

Frank Mount advises me that he uses one can (500ml) of AC Delco Engine
Oil Supplement with each oil change. AC Delco EOS contains 6221ppm of
ZDDT and 5762ppm of Phosphorus. It is readily available at GM
dealerships and retails for $8.20. On November 20, 2010 I bought 3 cans
at City Buick and was given a volume discount to $6.50 per can!

I, for what that's worth, am following Frank's advice.

AC Delco Engine Oil Supplement is available at GM dealers as Part # 992869

For a treatise on how ZDDP works, (and what ZDDP stands for!) I suggest
that you look at http://www.sherbournemews.com/oil.pdf.

Ted Jackson

On 13-06-17 10:56 AM, Tuck Southworth wrote:
> I'll leave the break-in oils to others who know better but I would include a
> zinc additive such as found in the Lucus' break in oils.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
ted.vcf]

Mg-t@autox.team.net
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive