Re: [Mg-t] oil

To: Richard Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] oil
From: Tuck Southworth <tuck.southworth@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:56:07 -0400
Cc: "mg-t@autox.team.net" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Rick,
You will receive many opinions as this subject has been much discussed on the
forum over the years.  Heres my 2c's
I agree that you should use 90 hypoid for the steering rack, gearbox and diff.
Several years ago I switched over to a synthetic for the gearbox as I was led
to believe it would be better for an aging set of gears.  It does seem to
shift smoother.

I'll leave the break-in oils to others who know better but I would include a
zinc additive such as found in the Lucus' break in oils.

For normal everyday engine oil I use Valvoline VR1 20/50.  It has a high zinc
formula which is much needed in our pushrod engines.  I think they still
produce two versions, a road and race formula.

Tuck

Sent from my iPad