Re: [Mg-t] 165 vs 180 thermostat

To: MIKE@DUVALLVIDEO.COM
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] 165 vs 180 thermostat
From: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 00:56:46 GMT
Cc: mg-t@autox.team.net
Full-name: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
  75C was the original stat, which I believe is 160F..
  Many prefer to run the engines at higher temps. My MGB is happy with a 190
stat, year round.
  It is thought that the 160 stat was warm enough for adequate engine
operation, and low enough to keep alcohol antifreeze evaporation at acceptable
amounts. As ethylene glycol antifreeze became the norm, stat temps increased.
   In 25F weather, or colder, the 75C stat may never open. The gauge is likely
to indicate 60 or so. In cold weather, I cover the bottom part of the radiator
slats with a canvas, adjusting to to raise the gauge to 75.

Bob