[Mg-t] 165 vs 180 thermostat

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mg-t] 165 vs 180 thermostat
From: Duvall Video Productions <MIKE@DUVALLVIDEO.COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:07:52 -0500
The original style thermostat stuck closed in my TD.   I discovered a 52 mm
thermostat fits between the original housing and the curved pipe going into
the engine.   I found a NAPA THM 185 fits well and opens at 180 degrees (82
celcius).

It seems to operate well- the gauge sits on the low end until the thermostat
opens and then shoots up- eventually it reaches temp and stays there.   It has
a jiggle pin to let a little coolant and air through and I blocked off the
bypass.

I have since found a 160 degree as well ( Triton  TT6-160  and Dayton DT15C. )
that might fit.

Anyone know the original thermostat temp and what does everyone run?   Can you
tell the difference between a 160 and 180 from a running or comfort
standpoint?

Mg-t@autox.team.net
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive