Re: Facts about tires

To: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Facts about tires
From: Walton <waltonps@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:45:04 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Mike,

Check out this letter from the NHTSA:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/SRS_052505.pdf

or the article from Automotive Digest:
http://www.automotivedigest.com/view_art.asp?articlesID=16047

While there may not be an accepted tire aging standard, certainly we can all
agree; the composition of even the best synthetic rubber has a shelf life, and
once a tire is placed on a vehicle and exposed to any environmental element,
the degradation is accelerated.

While you may wish to judge the life expectancy of tires on your own vehicle to
your own set standards or criteria, the majority of us choice to err on the
side of the tire manufactures recommendation.

As for my rhetoric Mike; I personally value the opinion of those who post to
this group and wish to encourage the free exchange of ideas. After all, an
individuals experience may not always be documented, and certainly the free
exchange of shared ideas should not be silenced.

One final note: During my adolescent period, I carried a rubber around for
years tucked away in my billfold. You know just in case the possibility ever
arose when I might have an opportunity to get lucky. Well I got married and
decided to have a family so I put the old Trojan prophylactic in my dresser
drawer. Now that Im in my fifties, I no longer have a need for that aged
safety devise. So anyone wanting a never been used, still in the foil,. New
rubber

Cheers;

Walt

51 TD

Brentwood, CA

Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Anyone have any evidence of the age of a tire being a problem or is
this speculation?. I can understand a tire from the 60 or 70s cracking
and getting old but tires made in the 80s and 90s have to be made of
better materials. These marketers like to put the fear of God into you
to sell you anything new.

Please don't respond with opinion and your life is at stake and all the
rhetoric, If anyone can reference a location on facts, I would
appreciate it....(preferably not a manufacturer's site) Something
independent...

Mike

Walton Smith